Block of Flats Insurance

barney the owl

Insuring a block of flats and apartments

Whether you’re a landlord, property developer or building owner with a block of flats, you must have an appropriate block of flats insurance. Unfortunately, finding an insurer that can cater to your specific needs and requirements can be difficult and time-consuming.

Our approved brokers can provide a tailored block of flats insurance for renovated buildings housing two flats to large blocks of managed flats. Ensuring you are protected in the unlikely case that you need to make a claim.

Block of Flats

What is block of flats insurance?

Block of flats insurance It’s a policy designed for landlords, property developers or building owners who own blocks of flats. Like most policies of this type, cover for a block of flats combines several different types of insurance that protect you from a wide range of potential issues.

What does buildings insurance for block of flats cover?

As with any insurance policy, our brokers will find you a policy that suits your needs. One of the most common forms of block of flats insurance is Buildings Cover. This will usually contain cover for:

  • Flood damage
  • Water damage
  • Fire damage
  • Theft and vandalism
  • Subsidence
  • Storm damage

If you are a landlord, other likely forms of cover can include:

  • Liability insurance
  • Contents insurance
  • Loss of rent insurance
  • Alternative accommodation

What type of flats can I insure?

Common flat types that our brokers insure include:

  • Purpose-built flats
  • Converted flats and apartments
  • Cover for outbuildings, garages and grounds

Why use specialist blocks of flats insurance?

A block policy provides property owners with the relevant protection they need in unforeseen circumstances. Importantly, it can help provide suitable funds to help with the cost of repairs if the property is damaged.

Fortunately, QuoteRack works closely with insurance brokers who can offer you access to specialised schemes offered by niche insurance companies looking to provide buildings insurance for blocks of flats.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need to have blocks of flats insurance?

Legally, there is no requirement to have block of flats insurance. Of course, if you do not have relevant cover, any repairs and damage will come at your own expense. Furthermore, some mortgage providers will require insurance for approval.

If you have staff, you will be required to have employers liability by law.

Do I need block of flats insurance if I’m a leaseholder?

This will depend entirely on the terms of your lease. In many cases, the landlord who owns the freehold will be responsible for insuring the building itself. However, you will be responsible for any fittings you’ve had added as well as your belongings.

If you’re unsure whether you’re a freeholder or leaseholder, please consult your solicitor.

Is there a minimum or maximum number of flats I can insure?

Generally, there are no minimums when insuring a block of flats. Some insurers will have a maximum amount of flats they are willing to insure. If you have multiple blocks of flats, you can sometimes cover these under one single policy.

Enquire through us for blocks of flats insurance

If you have explored other avenues of enquiry in your search for block of flats insurance quotes, then you are welcome to submit your details through the QuoteRack website, without cost or obligation to proceed when you receive your insurance quote.


"Specialist insurance for blocks of flats and apartments is available by clicking the 'Get a Quote' button and submitting a few details about your insurance requirements"

"Our insurance adviser told us how best to arrange the insurance, both for the apartment buildings and for each tenant's contents. With his help, we saved a significant amount on our insurance costs"

Block of Flats Insurance