Home Insurance - Buildings and Contents Cover

Barney says GET A QUOTE now!

What is home insurance?

Besides the usual buildings insurance and contents insurance, a typical home insurance policy now offers a wide range of additional benefits that you can include under the terms of your home insurance cover.

What is covered under a home insurance policy?

Some standard home insurance policies can be extended to include some of the following optional extra covers:

  • Accidental damage cover
  • Credit card cover
  • Home emergency cover
  • Legal protection
  • Pedal cycles
  • Personal money cover
  • Personal possessions cover
  • Protected no claims bonus
  • Theft from a motor vehicle

Alternatively, QuoteRack can direct your specialist home insurance requirements to our selected FCA-authorised UK-based insurance brokers for the following:

How do I get a quote for Household Buildings, Contents and 'All Risks' Insurance

Getting a cheap home insurance quote for buildings and contents insurance quote has never been easier. QuoteRack insurance brokers are keen to get your business and you often find you can save a significant amount of money by shopping round for the best household buildings and contents insurance quotes.

Frequently asked questions

How do I work out how much cover I need?

Many home insurance policies these days have removed the need to calculate accurately the cost of replacing your home's contents, fixtures and fittings. You will find that these insurers typically include a minimum level of cover - say, up to £50,000 of household contents - which is usually adequate for most households.

If your home has higher value items, perhaps including some jewellery and watches, then you might be asked for valuations of these items before an insurance quote is offered.

How do I calculate the buildings value of my home?

When looking for home buildings insurance, many people assume that the sum that they need to insure their homes for is the value the property would fetch if they sold it.

However, in most cases of a freehold property, you already own the land on which the house sits, so the actual level of cover you need for your buildings insurance is the cost of rebuilding your home, say if it was to have burned down.

How do I calculate the cost of rebuilding my home?

This is not easy for many people - where do you start with a calculation of how much it would cost to rebuild your home from the ground up?

Fortunately the The Building Cost Information Service of RICS offers a free online calulator that will help you to work out the cost of rebuilding your home.

How can QuoteRack help with my home buildings and contents insurance?

If your home insurance policy is due for renewal and your buildings or contents insurance premium has increased from last year, you may want to consider using the services of insurance brokers who specialise in providing access to insurance underwriters who offer some of the cheapest home insurance quotes.

QuoteRack will submit your details directly to our partner insurance brokers who will contact you to discuss your home insurance requirements in more detail and to hopefully offer you a better deal for your home insurance.


"Generally speaking, buildings insurance covers those things that you leave behind if you were to move house and are part of the fabric of the property - contents are the items you take with you."

"Simply click the 'GET A QUOTE' button to submit your details online to specialist home insurance brokers, without cost or obligation"

Home Buildings & Contents Insurance