Holiday Home Insurance UK

Barney says GET A QUOTE now!

Unlike your home, your holiday property may need additional insurance, especially if it’s left empty for long periods, throughout the week or for months on end. Holiday Home Insurance is not only vital for issues such as theft or damage but can become extremely useful for homes near a coastline or river.

What is Holiday Home Insurance UK?

A holiday home is a property that you don’t live in full-time, despite owning. Holiday homes in the UK are often used on weekends, during school holidays, or for a summer break. Insuring your beloved property with specialist holiday home insurance will protect it from instances such as damage, fire, and theft. If you live at this property full time, it will not be considered a holiday home.

Holiday Home Insurance

What is a Holiday Home?

A UK holiday home might by one of the following:

  • Houses
  • Cottages
  • Flats
  • Apartments
  • Chalets
  • Lodges

Why use specialist UK Holiday Home Insurance?

Most standard household buildings and contents insurance policies restrict cover when a property is left empty for more than 30 days, so if at any time your holiday home is likely to be unused for longer than this, then you should be considering a specialist holiday home insurance UK policy.

As your holiday home can be left unoccupied for long periods, across weeks, months or even over the entire Winter, you are at a higher risk of theft or fire, primarily if your holiday home is situated in a remote location.

Furthermore, if your property is situated near a coastline, river or lake, it may be at a higher risk of flooding or storm damage; if this is the case, then specialist holiday home insurance is a vital investment.

Holiday Home Insurance UK for Holiday Rentals

If you rent out your property on a commercial basis to paying guests on a self-catering basis, then standard holiday home insurance may not be sufficient. If this is the case, you will also require insurance cover to protect you from potential liability claims from those who rent your property from you, plus theft cover and protection from accidental or malicious damage to your holiday home contents, fixtures and fittings. This is especially important if you are renting out the property directly and not through a holiday letting agent.

​​Holiday rental insurance can cover liability insurance for both guests and any employees entering the property for cleaning and maintenance reasons. Most holiday homes let out to the public have a frequent cleaner and may also have a managing agent, gardener or housekeeper. Therefore, getting the correct type of holiday home insurance is essential because a standard home contents insurance policy will not be sufficient.

If your holiday home is considered a bed and breakfast, please visit our Bed and Breakfast Insurance page.

How can we help?

Fortunately, QuoteRack works closely with insurance brokers who can offer you access to specialised schemes offered by niche insurance companies looking to provide holiday home insurance UK online quotes.

Frequently asked questions

What does Holiday Home Insurance UK cover?

The type of cover you receive will depend entirely on your individual case, as well as what your insurer is willing to cover. However, common types of cover include:

  • Buildings and Contents cover
  • Theft
  • Unoccupied for extended periods
  • Emergency travel cover

On occasion, insurers will also be able to cover Accidental damage and Home emergency cover; please consult with our approved brokers around what they’re able to offer.

What if I rent out my holiday home?

If you are considering renting out your holiday home on a self-catering basis, you may need to seek specialist holiday home rental insurance; this should cover areas such as:

  • Loss of rental income
  • Alternative accommodation
  • Public liability insurance
  • Legal expenses
  • Theft
  • Malicious damage

Do I have to insure my holiday home?

Although you’re not legally required to take out holiday home insurance, most mortgage lenders will likely insist you have at least buildings insurance. You’ll also want to consider cover for your furniture and possessions if they’re damaged or stolen.

Ensure you have enough buildings insurance to cover the cost of rebuilding your holiday home – not what you could sell it for. Be sure to include any outdoor features like outbuildings, swimming pools, tennis courts or hot tubs.

Enquire through us for Holiday Home Insurance UK

If you have explored other avenues of enquiry in your search for Holiday Home Insurance UK, then you are welcome to submit your details through the QuoteRack website, without cost or obligation to proceed when you receive your insurance quote.


"If you rent out your UK-based holiday home, insurance cover is available to cover loss of rental income, cover against theft and accidental damage by your guests"

"I have a small flat in London that I use when I need to stay over on business - it's a great investment and avoids having to pay hotel bills each time. Arranging insurance cover for my second home was very straightforward."

Holiday Home Insurance